Monday 29 March 2010

More emotion please

I just made myself do something that I really didn't want to... I listened to my interview on BBC Surrey from this morning.

Two things struck me; the first was that I didn't actually speak too badly, and apart from suffering a dry throat part way through I didn't stumble over my words a lot as I had feared I would; the second was that I came across as rather bland and lacking in emotion. Not ideal when the reason you are speaking is to get the word out there that you desperately need HELP. If I hadn't been introduced as such somebody listening might not have known I was Adam's Dad, fighting for his son's life.

I'm not really sure how it happened that way. I sat outside the studio waiting to go on and I started thinking of something that brought a tear to my eye. I can't recall what it was, it happens fairly often and I can usually grit my teeth and make it go away. But I do remember thinking 'Oh shit. I hope I don't lose it on-air and start crying'. The thought had never occurred to me before when the interview was being setup. Now looking back it may not have been such a bad thing. I was so busy trying to speak clearly and not babble that I detached myself emotionally and answered like I was a spokesman. Or at least that's how it came across to me listening to it back.

So now I feel like I missed an opportunity. Next time I might be better saving the tear-in-the-eye moment for the studio not the waiting room.

1 comment:

  1. I've just listened to your interview - I found the link on the Adam's Appeal website.
    I don't think you sounded bland at all - you came across as what you are ... a dad who trying to do everything he can for his son!
    Because you weren't caught up in an emotional state you were able to explain the situation clearly for people who know nothing about it.
    I thought it was a good interview!

    ReplyDelete